Tips for Putting Your Best Face Forward this Fall
athing suits will soon be packed away for another year, but beauty doesn’t take a holiday when summer winds down. Women everywhere will need to modify their daily beauty routines to keep pace with autumn’s changing demands, and the rapid approach of the holiday season.
Your fall beauty regimen should focus on caring for the basics of beauty – skin, smile and hair. Here are some tips to ensure you enter the cooler months looking your best.
Fall Skin Care
Fall is one of the most demanding seasons for your skin. Not only does bright sunshine persist in many areas of the country, the air turns dry and cool – conditions which can add up to damage and drying.
* Remember to moisturize daily, and consider replacing the lotion or gel-based moisturizer you used over the summer months with a cream-based product. Cream-based moisturizers do a better job of locking moisture into the skin.
* You’ll still need sunscreen, especially if you spend a lot of time outdoors, but you can probably pack away the 50 SPF cream until next summer. Go with a lighter SPF. Many makeup lines now offer foundations that include UV protection.
* Stay hydrated. Make sure you get your recommended eight, 8-ounce glasses of water per day. If you live in a particularly dry climate, consider sleeping with a humidifier in your room. Not only will it help your skin, the humidifier can help relieve some respiratory symptoms brought on by dry weather.
Something to Smile About
Your smile is often the first impression someone has about you. “It’s easy to overlook the importance of taking care of your smile, especially as schedules get busier in the fall,” says Dr. Nancy Rosen, a New York City-based dentist whose clients include business executives, fashionistas and politicians.
* Before the holidays hit and you have time for little else other than shopping and entertaining, schedule a checkup with your dentist.
* White teeth can turn a nice smile into a show-stopper. Consider incorporating a teeth whitener into your everyday beauty routine. Crest Whitestrips Daily Whitening Plus Tartar Protection provides five-minute once a day whitening and protection from tartar and daily stain build-up. “These strips not only provide tartar protection, they’re a great way to whiten teeth daily.” Rosen says. “The strips are gentle enough to use every day, even for people who are sensitive to whitening.” They are available anywhere Crest products are sold; or log on to www.whitestrips.com for more information.
* The cool, dry air and crisp breezes of fall can lead to chapped lips. Use lip balm that contains UV protection to prevent chapped or sunburned lips. Avoid petroleum-based balms, as evidence has shown that petroleum can actually dry out your lips.
Have a Good Hair Day
The flagrant abuse you subjected your hair to all summer comes home to roost in the fall. Autumn is a great time to recover from the effects bright sun and pool chemicals had on your hair.
* Update your cut. It’s a new season and a good time for a fresh start. Look for a cut that complements your face, is fashionable yet easy to care for – a style that will serve you well through the increased busyness of the fall and holiday season.
* Treat yourself to a deep-conditioning session at the salon to help repair sun and chlorine damage. Afterward, use a light conditioner or shampoo/conditioner combination every time you wash your hair.
With a few simple enhancements to your daily routine, you can ensure your beauty regimen doesn’t fall behind this autumn. ARA